Home > Disk Drives > Seagate boot-of-death class-action lawsuit?

Seagate boot-of-death class-action lawsuit?

January 18th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments
KBK LLP examining class-action lawsuit

KBK LLP looking for plaintiffs for class-action lawsuit against Seagate

Owners of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives are reporting that their hard disk drives are failing at alarming rates. These failures, which have been reported to be as high as 30 to 40%, are believed to arise from faulty firmware that can cause the drives to suddenly lockup and stop working.  We  (Kabateck Brown Kellner LLP) are presently investigating a potential lawsuit

against Seagate arising from the high failure rates of these hard drives. If you own a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive that has suddenly stopped working (whether or not it has been replaced under warranty) and are interested in potentially bringing a lawsuit against Seagate, please respond to this website for a free consultation.

If you purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive that has stopped working” … (Well, you get the idea.  It didn’t take long for the sharks to start circling on this boot-of-death issue.)

1. May 4th, 2010 at 07:13 | #1

Please send any info you can to point me towards “the” class action suit-(7200.11) While my problem is not connected to the “click of death”, I’ve got two recent seagate purchases that have self “bricked” themselves. On another note, I’ve dealt with it (C.O.D.) on Iomega products in the past and was satisfied with the way it was handled. I had no idea that they were part of the Seagate empire, but I guess in hindsight I should have !

• May 8th, 2010 at 13:39 | #2

If the link on the site is no good, then I guess the suit fizzled out. Here is a link for a facebook group on a lawsuit. For the record, I am impartial and support neither side, but I am biased towards drive vendors in general, as IMHO people give disk drives way to much expectation for being infallible.

Also a helpful tip, were you aware that the consumer SATA disk drives are typically rated for only 2400 hrs use a year? If you are using those disks in a server 24x7x365, then the manufacturer’s documentation (but not necessarily what they stamp on a retail disk package) states pretty clearly you need to be using enterprise class instead of desktop drives. I have no idea if this is the case for you, but wanted to throw that out there. Obviously if you are using the 7200s in a 24×7 role instead of 8-5, 40hrs/week, then I wouldn’t waste my time going after any vendor. They can claim that you are using disk outside of design & stated specs.

2. May 2nd, 2010 at 11:17 | #3

Hi:
    Well a few red flags on this comment.
    1. You are assuming you have the BOD. Your symptoms are NOT consistent with having the boot-of-death, they are more consistent with your basic head crash.
    2. If you had the BOD, then it is an easy matter to repair for any legitimate data recovery firm with the right test board. You would also have zero data loss.
    3. Just for the record, storagesecrets.org wishes to say that we have no involvement in the suit, have not joined any class action suits, and have no intention to do so. We have no legal position or financial position in any disk vendors, no does any of the people own any stock in seagate or any drive vendors.

I suggest before you look like a fool that you take the disk to a data recovery firm who has a lab full of the right equipment and people with the bunny suits. Obviously if you want to get unbiased analysis then don’t take it to Seagate. I am in Dallas area, and a highly qualified recovery lab is a 10 minute drive away from me. This one is open 24x7x365 and I can just hand them a disk and they will diagnose and provide a free quote. If it is a boot-of-death, it will only take them an hour or so to fix, and price is reasonable. There will also be no data loss. If it is not boot-of-death, then price I have seen ranges from $400 – $1800 depending on the amount and type of damage. in most cases data loss is at most a few percent of total capacity.

If you need an experienced storage architect with 20+ years writing diagnostics, firmware, and such, who has no financial interest other than picking up a few billable hours for my time, then feel free to send an email to admin@storagesecrets.org and I will advice you offline.

3. terbs
    May 2nd, 2010 at 10:20 | #4

Purchased a Barracuda SATA 1tb internal on 10/08/2009 from Staples. Running it in a Mac Pro in bay 4. everything was fine… now it clicks and is not recognized. after hours of research, it turns out that this is a huge issue. I have clicked on the lawsuit links above and they do not work. I have 14 clients work on that disk. now what? I called Seagate and they state that it will cost $5000.00 USD to retrieve the information even though the disk is under warranty. If you are having issues as well, please contact send me an email. once I hit a certain amount of claims, I am going to seek a new Class Action suit here in Beverly Hills, Ca. to represent all of us. please include your serial and model numbers. as well date of purchase. if you are unsure of the date, include location/store/etc etc. the more info I can gather, the easier it will be to begin the suit. please visit the Facebook Seagate Lawsuit page at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001035352686&v=wall&ref=ts

4. John
    April 23rd, 2010 at 02:34 | #5

Count me in ! Bloody HP sold me a Touchsmart in Feb 2009 with this crapy Seagate 7200.11 which got bricked in July.
    OF course all data lost and paid Seagate…600 euros ! to get it unbricked and recover the latest month of data without backup (ok, my fault). Then HDD was replaced by HP by …guess what… the same s..t model which I just discovered 2 moths ago when this one died also (for another reason) . Shameless… We must indeed sue both HP and Seagate

5. Megan
    April 8th, 2010 at 17:57 | #6

Yep. Same thing happening to me. I’m emailing Kabateck Brown Kellner, cause I want a piece of this. I hate HP now. I’m never buying from them again. I selected allow HP to contact me about computer problems, and the only emails I’ve received from HP are “HP thinks you need to buy a printer”, “HP thinks you need a laptop”, and other such marketing crap. I’m getting an AMD next time. My dad’s AMD is older than me, and is still in PERFECT WORKING ORDER!

6. Chad Nichols
    March 24th, 2010 at 20:43 | #7

I as well have a 7200.11 that fails SMART test and SDT and LDT. It does not work in Windows 7 64bit but Windows xp partiction so far is working. I just ordered a replacement drive from Seagate. 5 year warranty is nice…but the fact they charge you 19.95 plus tax for an exchange is crap. They should do this for free like WD does. to send in and turn around of 14 days is a bit much. I bit the bullet and payed the 19.95 plus tax this round. Next round is on them. hopefully they send a different type of drive this time.

7. Jeff Clarke
    March 1st, 2010 at 17:03 | #8

Bought a 7200.11 from Best Buy Dec. 28th. It now has clicking disease and works on and off. Fails SMART test and SDT. I think a drive should work longer than two months.

8. February 16th, 2010 at 16:06 | #9

I had a seagate 7200.11 that was used as an internal drive.It stopped working!the drive contained over 70,000 photographs plus other irreplaceable files.
    After numerous attempts I eventually got through to some arrogant character at seagate who game me a ho hum response saying seagate will not offer a data recovery service but will replace or refurbish my drive.
    I located a data recovery service here in Sydney Australia who had retrieved all the data at a cost of $660.00.He showed me his work area and there were piles of the same model drives waiting for data recovery of which he explained many are right offs.

9. Gayle
    January 17th, 2010 at 08:02 | #10

I purchased an HP Touch Smart computer January 27, 2009. I did not notice problems right away but just a little glitch here and there. I really was not happy with the way it worked but since I could not afford another computer at that time, I decided I could live with it. I have a small business and all that informtion was backed up, or so I thought). Then, January 4, 2010 my computer would not go past the blue start up screen. Since I was just barely still under warranty, I called HP and was told that they would send me a new hard drive and that I had to send the other one back. I told them that I could not because all my work had not backed up properly on the external hard drive and I needed to see if I could somehow retrieve it. I was told that more than likely I could not because the problem that had occurred had been known to totally wipe out the hard drive. Now, what do I do. Tax time and all my figures are on the Quiok Books program and all my business contacts are on the Act Program, not to mention that all my Accounts Receivable are on the Quick Books Program. Since these problems started before I purchased this computer why was I not told that there might be problems and why was I not notified by the manufacturer that there could possibly be problems. Now, I am vitually out of business. This is worse than starting all over again like I had to 13 years ago. Is there anything I can do?

10. Sierra Jack
    January 12th, 2010 at 10:12 | #11

I don’t know if this will work for others, but it worked for me. My 1T Barracuda 7200.11 locked into a bsy state and no matter what I did, my system would not recognize the hard drive. I still had an old 320G hard drive in my case and I connected that to the mother board to see how much of my old data was still on that drive. When I connected the 1T back to the system, it loaded perfectly, for about two months. I did the same process again and the 1T started working again. I wouldn’t rely on this process to permanently fix your Barracuda 7200.11, however, it may allow you to recover your data. I bought a WD Green Caviar and will be moving all of my data to that drive. I would be interested to hear about any Seagate lawsuits so I can at least get my money back from buying their 1T brick.

11. Beowulf
    December 9th, 2009 at 08:23 | #12

Found this by google today. I own the famouse drive, a Barracuda 7200.11 500GB with the rotten firmware. It has worked ok for over 8 months but has now died and is locked busy.

12. Luna
    November 25th, 2009 at 14:42 | #13

I bought a POS FreeAgent in 7/15/2009. Quit in 10/28/2009. Computer freezes when you plug it in, forget reading it. It’s on the shelf with it’s red-headed step-sister, Maxtor 5000 Personal Storage. All data lost, again. Burned again, but I will kick and scream. How much money is being wasted on all of these POS products? I’m sure we can all list something that’s been shelved because of defections. Are there any stats out there? It’s consumer abuse, and not enough people standing up for what they pay for, while the companies behind these products float away on their “golden parachutes”

DO NOT BUY SEAGATE!!!!!!!!!

United States
    Canada
    Latin America
    Mexico 1.800.SEAGATE (1.800.732.4283)
    1.405.324.4700

250 GB PN 9XX2X4 500
    SN 2XX29XX7 purchased 7-15-09
    DOD 10-28-09 @ 10:53 pm

OS Win XP SP3

Failed seatools long & short tests. Is there any help from seagate to retrieve data from failed drives?

Backup ur backup? Double negatives………..

13. Ann O. Nymis
    November 24th, 2009 at 16:27 | #14

is a new lawsuit site. Everyone with problems with seagate drives should register there now.

14. Carrigon
    November 13th, 2009 at 14:54 | #15

I purchased an HP IQ816 TouchSmart pc in January 2009. At that time, I remember trying to find out if I had the defective drive, but HP didn’t have any info up to indicate I had a Seagate at that time, so after a few weeks, I stopped looking. The pc ran perfectly from January until this past weekend, November 7th 2009. It suddenly decided it didn’t have a hard drive anymore. A little checking around and I have the firmware bug. The drive is bricked up solid. I had no idea there was a firmware update that could have prevented this from happening. HP didn’t post an update until a month or two after I stopped checking. So now, my pc is at a local repair shop and the tech is working on unbricking the drive. I’m already out a week from it and he had to order a special adapter to try and unbrick it, so I will be out this whole second week as well. And we still don’t know if I’ll get my data back yet. I think Seagate should be sued, but I also think HP should be sued for not making it clear that there is a critical, vital update that must be put on these TouchSmart pc’s or the drive will die. They have the update at their site, but they give it no attention, they act like it’s just another thing. They don’t tell you that if you do not do it, your drive will die. I say, sue em all.

15. Chris
    October 27th, 2009 at 11:13 | #16

Well this lawsuit ‘investigation’ looks like it won’t happen through KBK, but there are many other law firms that could take this up. I don’t know the firm but seeing as they have English errors on their site I personally don’t trust them anyways.

I personally have lost count of how many 7200.11 drives I’ve had self-destruct, not to mention my colleagues following my recommendations and buying them too.

I’ve been replacing all of the 7200.11s with Western Digital 1TB+ drives and never looked back. In fact I still have one 7200.11 that still works and I’m pretty much moving everything important off of there and just using it as a PVR drive until it inevitably fails too.

Here is the response from KBK LLC:

“Hello,
    We have concluded our investigation into this matter. We are not moving forward with this law suit.”

16. jim
    October 20th, 2009 at 15:22 | #17

BTW, the website that reported the defective coating was a data recovery service, they fix these drives and have reported the defective coating problem, interesting it is not being publicized. I think everyone who can supply a seagate drive should be entitled to a full refund of the purchase price and recieve 3 drives for every one they purchased, even then I would not trust putting my data on them for fear that all 3 would fail. I think the failure rate of 30-40 percent is probably 50-60 percent off. In talking to customers and other technicians it seems like almost ALL of the drives are failng. If yours hasn’t failed yet you better get it backed up. Again, I would be happy to testify. DO NOT TRUST SEAGATE DRIVES FOR ANYTHING YOU DON’T WANT TO LOSE. The fact that the MTBF is not even close to accurate makes them guilty of FRAUD.

Signed Irate, Upset, Disullusioned and RIPPED OFF BY SEAGATE.

17. jim
    October 20th, 2009 at 15:13 | #18

See my post 2 above, I had warrantied a 750 gb ide drive about 2 months ago and it now is failing also. I want to see criminal prosecution as they are being deceptive in thier mtbf averages by a huge margin. So now this makes 3 drives in three months with total failure and I also have 2 1tb that are having intermittent problems, I have disconnected these drives and hope to get a replacement from A DIFFERENT MANUFACTURER other than seagate. This company has lost my respect, they refuse to be honest to thier customers and are willing to risk the data of millions of people to save thier butts. Again I believe this is criminal and should be first prosecuted as a crime, then followed up by the class action lawsuit (more ammo in court). I hope everyone in seagate who is responsible for violating the public trust, risking the data of millions and lying about the pproblem and MTBF are fired and prosecuted. unfortunately that will probably not happen. I have been buying hard drives for over 20 years and can honestly say that the origional st225 from 20 years ago was much more reliable. I URGE EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM SEAGATE (AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES) DRIVES UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOSE YOUR DATA.

18. Phill
    October 19th, 2009 at 03:30 | #19

Hi,
    Same here, I bought a 750GB 6 months ago and it stopped reading (0GB), so i bought 2 more 1.5TB to run Raid1, while copying data overnight, one of the drives died (1 day old). I can’t return the drive to Seagate because i have confidential information on it.

19. Jim
    September 28th, 2009 at 17:00 | #20

Hi all.
    I would like to state a couple of things, I have had several seagate drives fail over the last 2 years. I have been a seagate user since the st225 in the 80’s. I can say as a computer technician that the quality has definitely gone down with these higher capacity drives.
    My impression is that Seagate is trying to save it’s @ss by not doing a recall and replacing ALL the drives in it’s inventory, and on store shelves that were prone to these high failure rates. This would probably bankrupt them.
    You never know a buisnesses motives completely, maybe a certain executive will get a HUGE bonus for selling so many drives, then he can leave with his bonus and to heck with the public and the company, he got his nestegg… Why, when I went to best buy and bought my new 1.5 tb seagate drive did the salesman tell me that they weren’t having many problems, then when I reiterated the problems I read about he told me that was with the origional drives and that these were fine. It is obvious that the retailers who knowingly sell a product with a HIGH defect rate should be liable and even considered accesories to a crime.

Maybe there is just a huge level of incompetence and an almost criminal edit and misinformation put out about the potential for risk and wether or not a problem is really FIXED or if there is and INHERRINT problem with the design of the hardware that a update cannot fix.
    If you check the forums (including seagate specifically) you will notice many edits to the posts, even so I came away with the impression that there was nothing but false information and promises. Such as the statements that certain revisions are not prone to the issue and updates to these drives are not needed. Further checking revealed information pointing to a defective surface coating coming off of the platters under (certain conditions) ??? I cannot remember this souce at the moment.
    I have another seagate 1.5 tb less than 2 months old (bought from tigerd1rect and now need to send it back for replacement. I would love to be a part of any lawsuit and if held in illinois will testify to the FACT that I was repeatedly misled into believing the problem was resolved by both seagate forum posts and retailers and now believe that the problem was never fixed and that Seagate knew the odds were that this problem would occur to a hugh percentage of it’s drive purchasers in a slight percentage of the reported mtbf.

Jim

20. Eduardo Pereyra
    September 27th, 2009 at 09:36 | #21

HI! I´m in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Three mothns ago I had a Miami based friend comming into town. And I asked him to buy me two Seagate´s FreeAgent 1TB drives (external). One of them died two days ago.
    Now, as I bought Freagen enclosure and nobody told me that it was Barracuda 7200.11 inside… It is a fraud, isnt it?
    It´s was my brother HD filled with his patients data…. (he´s a doctor) so the information inside is very sensible.
    The strange part here is that it´s firmware is CC3H, maybe the motor died? I´ve been using WD hard drives for a long time, suddenly I´ve bough a seagate… will never do it again.

21. Mick Tisell
    September 23rd, 2009 at 13:34 | #22

I had the infamous defective design known as “ST3500320AS” decide to die on me for no apparent reason. I was able to get most of my data off of it. Instead of sending your drive to a data recovery service, just do it yourself. Put the drive into 2 ziploc freezer bags, then use a 3rd ziploc bag and fill it with water, put the drive into the bag of water and arrange it so the drive is immersed except for access to the connectors. Prop up the bag in your freezer and allow it to completely freeze solid. In a day you should have a huge block of ice with the drive encased inside but with access to the connectors. When you connect to a system you should be able to retreive most of the data. You might have to power it down every few minutes depending how bad it is. Some repeated attempts of this method works well and can save you $100’s or $1000’s of dollars.

22. September 17th, 2009 at 00:34 | #23

Model: ST3500320AS
    Firmware: SD15
    Date Code: 09083

23. Christina
    August 27th, 2009 at 11:12 | #24

I purchase a Iomega from Best buy in Nov 2008 and It went out in july 09 I took to best buy to see what could be done it was under warrenty and replaced, but they said the motor just stopped so all my information was lost. I was told by the geek squad that Iomega is a seagate product and they had a law suit out on there 1 tb hard drives because they are just seezing up. I would like to be contacted by this law firm via email. I lost alot of information and he said only way I could get it was to pay 1600 dollars to have the drive scrubbed and wouldn’t even know if it was possible then.

24. effingseagate
    August 24th, 2009 at 10:56 | #25

i had two seagate drives fail within weeks of each other. these were both external free agent desktops with the ST31500341AS Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1.5-TB Hard Drive inside w/ firmware CC3H. in both cases the motors died. 1 was serving as the back up for the other.

i took it to seagate’s data recovery business (i365) and they quoted me out $2900 a piece on recovery. a company i would prefer to use (for price and expedience…they were a more reasonable $1400) doesn’t have access to the exact motor donor through their supplier so i will be forced to use seagate to get the data off.

does anyone know if these drives should be covered by seagate or is there no established link between the firmware failure and motor failure?

i appreciate any thoughts.
    yours,
    “soon to be broke”

25. Anna Meschansky
    August 15th, 2009 at 09:43 | #26

David,

You obviously either work for a retailer or do not know one bit about consumer rights. Under the product liability law, every entity knowingly involved in selling the defective product to a consumer – from the manufacturer to the wholesaler to the retailer – is responsible to the consumer under the states consumer protection laws, including responsibility for consequential damages – in this case, lost data – and, in most states, punitive damages as well. This is the way the business of selling sonsumer goods is regulated in this country. In this case, Seagate was aware as early as in January 2009 that its specific product was defective, and so was HP, but neither recalled the defective coomputers/drives. Moreover, Seagate tried to mislead the consumers. You are right, Best Buy, the store where I and thousands of others boughts the computers, was also aware for quite a while they were selling a defective product and I will make sure to hold them responsible.

In you tire example, it is actually called strict liability – i.e. whether the manufacturer/retailer was aware or not of the defect in the tires they sold, they are responsible if someone got injured or killed because of that defect.

On another subject, thanks for reminding, but, yes, I usually do back up. But life is not always predictible. You urge me to be honest with myself. Get off your high horse and tell me – would you think of backing up your computer data every week at the time when your family member goes through a horrific treatment and then passes on? At the end of June, I uploaded the last day puctures and three videos. Three weeks later, the drive crashed. Thanks for understanding.

• August 19th, 2009 at 13:07 | #27

Fair enough Anna. First I genuinely appreciate the consumer rights update. It sounds as if you have some legal training. I have never worked for a retailer (unless you count working in a grocery store many years before). I have worked for disk raid subsystem manufacturers, and in the process spent many hours with resellers, VARs, OEMs, and storage subsystem vendors. As such I admit I have a greater understanding of the other side of the equation.

I expect, but if you know, chime in, that there are special laws covering software & firmware. Case in point. Microsoft. If one could sue for lost work because of a blue screen of death, then MSFT would have gone out of business years ago. On the subject, the disk drives have a firmware bug, not a hardware bug, and the problem is repairable via a firmware upgrade (but only before a drive has been bricked). Otherwise, a consumer is not going to have the equipment necessary to fix the problem.

To be perfectly honest, I have been lazy in the past. Backup is a pain. But I did make an investment recently to solve the problem once and for all. I bought a macbook and virtualized my windows machine. Then I purchased a pair of 1TB disk drives in an external enclosure for $199 at Fry’s. [Data is mirrored, so even if a backup disk fails, I lose no data]. I use apple’s time machine. It backs up both everything 24×7 in the background, hot, so I do not even have to think about it. It is fully automated and if it wasn’t for an icon on the upper right part of screen, I don’t notice it.

This does not help you, but, come on, you can buy 1TB SATA disks now for $79 if you shop and either mount it inside a desktop, or get a $99 external USB system with a 1TB disk. Then configure windows backup to run automatically at 2 AM. Or buy something that adds a more sophisticated solution. I am trying not to get on a high horse, but come on … backup should be looked at no differently than performing regular oil changes.

Even if hardware never died, all it takes is to accidently drag something into the wrong place, copy from X to Y when you meant to copy from Y to X; or getting hit with a computer virus.
      I can’t tell you who, but I have done my share of RAID subsystem data recovery operations for commercial and government locations. I have seen a lot of people lose their jobs. I once had to inform somebody that they lost a book they spent 5 years writing. I dealt with a small federal agency that they lost all data they had in last 15 years (really good story, but better not put it online). All because of lack of backing up, or stupid human mistakes.

Sorry, I am jaded and I do get on a high horse about backups, because I can’t fathom how people who buy car or fire insurance without thinking twice won’t buy ‘data’ insurance in the form of backing up.

26. Anna Meschansky
    August 14th, 2009 at 18:41 | #28

I purchased HP Pavillion Slimline with Seagate 500GB 7200.11 hard drive on March 29, 2009. It stopped working less than 4 months after the purchase – the BOIS does stopped seeing the hard drive, all the same symptoms as described by prior posters. Following the “steps” on Seagate website produced no results. My computer has been sitting now for a week at the Best Buy Geek Squad.

Seagate “free data recovery” only offers free diagnostics with no gurantee that your data will be retrieved or even that the drive will be returned to you intact.

Interestingly, by looking at various forums and even Seagate website, it is clear that when I was buyng the computer in March of 2009 at Best Buy, it was already common knowlede that this particular Seagate HD had that problem, but nevertheless the computers were not recalled and Best Buy continued selling them.

This is a nice forum where you can see some statistics how many countries were affected by the seagate 7200.11 “plague.”

• August 14th, 2009 at 19:21 | #29

Well unfortunately, I have to side with Seagate in your specific case. You bought from Best Buy. Best buy purchases OEM disks and they get a discount. Part of the savings comes with the understanding that Best Buy handles warranty support. Your beef is with Best Buy.
      Secondly, even if you purchased from Seagate, then their responsibility is to repair/replace the disk, not recover it. When you have a flat tire, do you call the tire company so they can get you a cab to take you to the destination you are going to be late for? A manufacturer is responsible for replacing the hardware, not lost time/wages. You are in pain, and this is no time for somebody like me to remind you that you should have backed up your data .. but I am going to be a a bit of a jerk and say it anyway. we both know that 100% of disk drives eventually fail.

I would vent my frustration on the Best Buy manager. They are the ones who sold a “defective” product to you. They should make it right to you, and then Best Buy should deal with seagate who should make it right with them. I would love to know if you have any luck with Best Buy … and would also be interested in knowing if you now make regular backups .. be honest with yourself.

27. stu
    July 29th, 2009 at 04:52 | #30

I’m not being funny here, but if it’s shut down your business for 4 weeks, I wouldn’t be reliant on a single drive.

You could set up a couple of decent external RAID arrays for less than $1000 and still have change to buy a backup PC. On top of this, I would be considering either off-site or online storage options for backup.

28. One more victim
    July 21st, 2009 at 14:02 | #31

purchased a diamondmax 22 on Feb. 12, 2009. and had the boot of death on 6-27-2009. I contacted seagate and paid $19.99 for rush shipping on a replacement and and seagate sent me a refurbished replacement? (That I am returning) I am supposed to return the damaged drive (data is inaccessible and still on drive) I got a quote for nearly $400.00 to retrieve the data. so I am returning the replacement drive and purchasing and new drive locally.
    We need to get the word out about the way they do business. They continued to sell these products with known defects with no warning or recall.
    It has completely shut my business down for nearly 4 weeks. I spoke with every tech, at fry’s electronics and not one had ever heard of the problem, so they just keep selling the product.

29. Another angry customer
    May 27th, 2009 at 20:30 | #32

Now what about models that Seagate’s site indicate as bad hardware whose serial numbers are not considered to be within the failing hardware list because they were sold with the SD1A firmware but failed just the same? I got one ST3500320AS drive replaced by another with such firmware that died about 3 months later, and the site indicates its all ok with the drives serial number but it is obviously not! Now what?

30. Andy Foead Wirya
    May 24th, 2009 at 21:45 | #33

Any businesses that do not respect its clients must go down.

I bought a seagate 6 months ago with the following information:
    S/N: 9QJ1NPV7
    ST31000340AS
    P/N: 9BX158-303
    Firmware: SD15

Date Code: 09062
    Site Code: KRATSG
    WWN: 5000C5000D9E1BC2
    STX – ST31000340AS (B)

It suddenly become unresponsive and all my data is trapped inside. After 3 weeks of useless communication with Seagate (I believe they’re only trying to get me tired of waiting) they finally E-mailed me the agreement of free data recovery and they finally did recover my data.

Post Recovery condition:

The hard drive with its new firmware becomes painfully slow and unstable, FW800 speed goes down to nearly FW400 and fluctuates like crazy.

I further contacted them suggesting that they need to fix the new firmware. To their defense, they tell me that the hard drive is NOT meant to be installed in the external case. But in their website they clearly stated that it is best for both internal/external use.

Afterwards, there is nothing more from their end.

I’m located in Shanghai, P.R.China, so I know that I can not attend the hearing. But Please, if you need anything, give me a valid E-mail Address, and I’ll forward ALL communication materials and anything relevant for your legal battle. I’d love to see them go down in the US. In China they can easily get away with it because the law benefits them, not consumers. But in The US it’s a whole different playing ground.

Please Take them down. They have no respect for their clients, they should never be around.

-Andy

31. Harry Schlessman
    April 21st, 2009 at 21:42 | #34

I purchased a Dell Percision T3400 4 months ago and specifically wanted a Seagate hard drive because they use to have a good track record. Well, needless to say, Dell installed the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive into my computer. Dell did replace the hard drive but informed me that I had to return the Seagate in 15 day or less or I would be charged with the cost of the new hard drive. I have too much proprietary business type of information on the Seagate, to just send it back. I am legally bound not to share that information with anyone. If the government has a Dell computer with secret information on one of the Seagate’s in question, do they send it back to Seagate. Me thinks not! I don’t know why I have to pay for recovering information because of a product failure.
    Yes, I am very interested in a lawsuit against Seagate and or possibly Dell for not checking (like they say they do before shipping computers) to make sure everything is okay. Surely Dell has had complaints about the hard drive prior to shipping out mine. I paid over $5000 dollars for my computer for business and it was dead in the water for a day and a half not to mention all the data that is lost because of a faulty hard drive. Let’s get em!

Harry

• April 25th, 2009 at 23:20 | #35

Seagate has a bootable ISO image on their website which includes a firmware update. The plus side, is that it is free, and you can update the firmware yourself. The only bad thing(s) about doing this are that they “recommend” a full backup before updating firmware (always a good idea).

So your T3400 should have no problems booting the Seagate firmware update. Of course, Seagate won’t just make the firmware available online, they have to put it inside of a closed ISO system, and this doesn’t help anybody who might have the disk in a Sun server (like I do).. Sigh.

32. Paul den Boer
    January 27th, 2009 at 01:44 | #36

My drive bricked up showing 0 GB capacity during BIOS startup after only a month of use.
    • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA (1 Terabyte)
    • Model Number: ST31000340AS

I read on various sources that Seagate offers free data recovery if the firmware upgrade did not work, but since I’m from South Africa, I don’t think this deal extends to all the way here.

1. No trackbacks yet.
You must be logged in to post a comment.